Tuesday, January 3, 2012

thanks hey durbs...

I think I’ve expressed how I feel about the word ‘home’. I’ve also expressed my love for the continent of Africa, Durban, my family, and my life there. But this December holiday was different. The old saying of 'you don't know what you got til its gone' has never been so real to me. Coming back was even better than I ever expected. Everything about the last 3 weeks was perfect, and I hope to capture a bit of my time here in this blog.

The excitement of arriving home came to one ginormous climax as I looked through the glass arrival doors of King Shaka International Airport to see signs and faces. The best signs I've ever seen at an airport welcome... ever, and people that I love the most. people I missed and voices I had not heard. It was all too much. There is no feeling quite like it. it was the best welcome home I could've asked for. thanks guys!

Once all the hugs went around and the hello’s were exchanged, we settled down and headed for the beach. There really is no better thing to do on a Durban December day. Did I burn? yes. Was it worth it? uh, of course. The beach was packed with friends and strangers (vaalies). I was carted off to a friends house and hung out there for a bit. The lack of sleep was starting to kick in, and my body was tired. it was 7pm and I decide that I was way too tired to do anything, and jet lag was attacking my system. The plan: go home and sleep. The four friends that were with me invited themselves over for dinner… I stumble into my house extremely tired and see this. Yup, I have the best friends in the world.

A night of Pizza and cooldrink (pop/soda) made with real sugar and not high fructose corn syrup with a group of my greatest friends. what’s better?

Three weeks later, on my last day in Durban, I look back and have a hilights package of the best weeks I can remember. Here is just a taste of some of those hilights along with some photo’s (instagrams)…
 
 Drinking tea outside on a couch while starring at the view of the ocean in front of me. 

Finally getting to be with the Livesy’s and visiting Mike’s memorial. love and miss you bro- so much!

 local SA soccer match - Ama-zulu vs Kaizer Chiefs in the worlds most amazing stadiums. Nothing quite like it
Christmas down time with my parents and a perfect Collins-tradition styled Christmas dinner. relaxed, lounged and enjoyed Durban summertime.
South Africa vs Sri Lanka Cricket match!
 Boxing day traditions with my cool ballies. (the coolest)
Enjoying good music with the indie kids at Unit 11’s last gig. these are local heroes: Gangs of Ballet.
Eating the best indian food at House of Curries. with cool friends, of course.
beach!!
Making another t-shirt with our trusty old sewing machine
African Sky Sunsets
New Years party in westville with old friends.
On that note, an incredible home-made firework display, where one misfired firework nearly killed me.
Jumping off the pier during the first sunrise of 2012 into a beautiful and glassy indian ocean.

Lunch with friends at my house, followed by good old bronze beach and a Dear Reader gig in true indie-durban fashion.

Maaaaates

Hanging with the biggest gangster I know. (not really, but its fine.)


Farewell on the roof of The Royal Hotel

Durban Durban Durban. Even with all your flaws, messy roads, terrible internet speeds and buckets of sweat that you draw from my body, I still cannot think of a reason not to love you. Thank you city, old friends and new friends for the most incredible December Holiday of my life. I really pray that the memories I made in these 3 weeks will last me until next December when we see each other again.

Cheers for now.


Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment